Dive site management on daily build 4.4.2.669

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Jun 9 10:49:35 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 09, 2015 at 01:11:29PM -0300, Tomaz Canabrava wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 1:04 PM, Davide DB <dbdavide at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > #4 I'm not able to read a logbook file V3 saved with daily build 544. Ouch
> > :/
> > Nothing special but really we should start thinking to a safe migration
> > path for the average joe who doesn't RTFM and save logbook by definition.
> >
> > #5 Opening Subsurface with the latest dive without location set, it zoom
> > on the Guinea Gulf and I cannot zoom immediately. I can zoom only after
> > several mouse wheel rotation. After that it moves immediately. I do not
> > know what's happening.
> >
> > #6 Adding coordinates form Subsurface webservice (this is really
> > complicated)
> >
> > There are several use cases
> >

> >    1. (happy day scenario) It's really a new dive: I download gps data
> >    and an "autocreated dive" is added on the map. I can later edit the name
> >    and I cand find it on divesites.

So this has nothing to do with the UI, really. You download (or enter) a
dive with no location / dive site.
Now you download GPS coordinates. For every GPS coordinate that is matched
to a dive one of three things should happen

a) the dive still has no location / dive site (the new dive we just
   mentioned): a new dive site is created with a place holder name (or the
   name from the webservice, or the name we look up based on coordinates,
   etc) and this dive site is added to the dive

b) the dive DOES have a dive site, but the dive site has no coordinates:
   the existing dive site is modified and the coordinates are added

c) the dive DOES have a dive site and it DOES have coordinates:
   nothing changes

> >    2. It's a dive I already have done but I haven't a gps point.
> >    Subsurface already imported this location as divesite. This time I was
> >    enough clever to start the magic companion app so I have gps data and I can
> >    update my divesite!
> >    UI gives me two choices:
> >
> >    1. I select form location field the divesite I already entered and
> >       then I download gps data. I expect to update the current divesite with my
> >       brand new gps point but it's not.
> >       I find on the map a dive location with two rows: "Auto created
> >       dive\nDivesite name".

That's a bug and I'm hoping to work on this today (time permitting). Tomaz
please don't worry about this one.

> >       2. I download gps data (everything is ok, an "auto created dive is
> >       placed on the map")
> >       then I select a divesite name from location field.
> >       Divesite name is retained but maps zoom out in the hyperspace.
> >       If I search for the gps point on the map I can find the
> >       "autocreated dive" mark but I don't know who is the "owner".

Hmm, strange, I need to try to reproduce this.

> > Actually with the current UI, above cases could generate other
> > strange/impossible cases: On #1 I can:
> >
> >    1. select divesite
> >          2. I do not save it leaving the blue panel "save/discard" active
> >          3. download gps data...
> >
> >          I obtain a mix of the above use cases. I know that it's
> >          impossible but we should avoid the user will walk these paths.

Yeah, there is a ton of inconsistency here. We shouldn't allow you to
download GPS coordinates while in the middle of editing a dive site.

> > I see I have some divesite duplicated. I should investigate into the file
> > why during the import they were duplicated. Form the UI right now I cannot
> > see gps point.

You can see it in the dive site management view, but there you currently
cannot switch dive sites which is clearly a bug, as discussed in the other
email.

> > For today I cannot continue.
> > If you prefer I can file all of these as trac tickets.
>
> Please do, it's easyer to follow. :)

May I offer a different opinion?

Please file bugs on the things that clearly are bugs (like "need a way to
switch dive sites in dive site edit mode" and "don't allow downloading GPS
coordinates while editing a dive site").

But don't file bugs on workflow / behavior changes until we figured out
what we really want... I don't want to move the discussion into trac
comments - if we discuss things here a lot more people will see it and
possibly chime in

Thanks