Dive site management on daily build 4.4.2.669

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Jun 10 06:10:09 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 09:59:29AM +0200, Davide DB wrote:
> Hummm, I downloaded latest build 681 and I get a mess while trying to
> import GPS data.
>
> I tried in two ways:
>
> #1 I download GPS data and then I choose an existing dive site (without gps
> data)
>
> https://www.screenr.com/mAPN
>
> #2 I choose a divesite and the I download GPS data,
>
> https://www.screenr.com/OAPN
>
> None of them is working.
> In both cases as I download GPS data, my map is populated by 147
> "autocreated dive" locations :(

Those should disappear the moment the globe is refreshed. But you are
right, I should prevent them from ever showing up as they are just
confusing.

> I checked my file and they was not there before.
> At the very beginning of the first screencast I try to zomm the map through
> my mouse wheel. As you see the map tremble without moving.
> I did not saved the logbook because I already have a lot of junk inside.

The only dive sites that should be saved are the ones that are associated
with a dive.

> After playing a bit with dive site feature I'm still convinced that:
>
> In my saved logbook I cannot have:
>
> A dive without a dive site
> A dive site without a dive

You absolutely can have dives without dive site.
You, personally, may think that's unreasonable. But I don't see any reason
why we should force someone who downloads dives from a dive computer to
assign a site to each of them.

A dive site without a dive is a more interesting question. On the surface
this doesn't make sense. But I could see someone enter the details of a
site that they want to dive at before a trip so that they can assign it to
a dive once they made it. So they might want to be able to store the data
file with the "orphan" dive site in the mean time.

> What's happen if I download a dive, I save the logbook without choosing a
> dive site?

Yes, why not?

> From what I understand if I want to give a name to a new dive I'm forced to
> use the dive site management.

"give a name to a new dive" - you mean set the location?

> All of this started because Henrik and me proposed to have an optional dive
> site hierarchy/taxonomy.
> This wonderful job from Dirk and Tomaz it's the root for the
>  hierarchy/taxonomy that is not here yet.

The taxonomy is something that is partially implemented in the background.
It's of course related to the dive site management, but I don't know how
it plays into the questions that you have here.

What is your issue with dives without sites and sites without dive?
Besides believing that in your personal workflow they wouldn't show up, I
think I'm missing the bigger issue you are trying to raise.

Are you worried about clutter in your dive file? About inconsistencies?