Dive site management on daily build 4.4.2.669

Davide DB dbdavide at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 07:49:21 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 3:10 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 09:59:29AM +0200, Davide DB wrote:
> > Hummm, I downloaded latest build 681 and I get a mess while trying to
> > import GPS data.
> >
> > I tried in two ways:
> >
> > #1 I download GPS data and then I choose an existing dive site (without gps
> > data)
> >
> > https://www.screenr.com/mAPN
> >
> > #2 I choose a divesite and the I download GPS data,
> >
> > https://www.screenr.com/OAPN
> >
> > None of them is working.
> > In both cases as I download GPS data, my map is populated by 147
> > "autocreated dive" locations :(
>
> Those should disappear the moment the globe is refreshed. But you are
> right, I should prevent them from ever showing up as they are just
> confusing.

Previous 147 markers were all my gps data uploaded on the web service
since I use Subsurface.
On my test they are not removed. In case #2 after moving the globe
looking for the location I found both the location name I set and
"autocreated dive 148".

> You absolutely can have dives without dive site.
> You, personally, may think that's unreasonable. But I don't see any reason
> why we should force someone who downloads dives from a dive computer to
> assign a site to each of them.

> > From what I understand if I want to give a name to a new dive I'm forced to use the dive site management.

> "give a name to a new dive" - you mean set the location?

Sorry if I'm not able to explain myself.

On the previous version (we can call it V2) I download some dives and
by default they have "no name" aka non location text set.
I can even set locations on the map without naming them....
Of course I can save them and keep storing my dives without location
text field set but, what's the meaning?

In the V3 current version I download some dives and by default they
have no location set. They are completely blank because right now ALL
data about location are under the dive site management: Location name,
gps data are all part od the dive site management so again what's the
meaning  working with a pile of unknown dives (no name no location). I
understand that the software is capable of but it seems just a gimmick
to me.

> A dive site without a dive is a more interesting question. On the surface
> this doesn't make sense. But I could see someone enter the details of a
> site that they want to dive at before a trip so that they can assign it to
> a dive once they made it. So they might want to be able to store the data
> file with the "orphan" dive site in the mean time.

I agree with you and Robert on this.

> The taxonomy is something that is partially implemented in the background.
> It's of course related to the dive site management, but I don't know how
> it plays into the questions that you have here.
>
> What is your issue with dives without sites and sites without dive?
> Besides believing that in your personal workflow they wouldn't show up, I
> think I'm missing the bigger issue you are trying to raise.
>
> Are you worried about clutter in your dive file? About inconsistencies?

My concern is that I tried to play with this V3 version and I was not
able to works comfortably with it without your indications.
This morning I let my two dive buddies play a bit with it (they both
use Subsurface on Win and Mac). No one of them understood how to work
with it. I understand that it's an early version and my friends are a
bit computer illiterate but I think it's a sign of something that the
average joe out there will face soon.
The first approach was to use the location dropdown to browse dives.
We were never sure if we were editing a dive setting a location or
just browsing dives. They though to browse divesites but they were
actually changing location to a dive site...
Marble globe sometimes bolt at the minimum zoom and sometime loses the
location point.  I was not able to record a reproducible sequence.
>From there a nightmare :)

I haven't a clear vision on current design but maybe:

#1 Location dropdown should become a label.
#2 The plus sign should always be "edit" even if you can have dives
without dive site. Once you edit, the new panel will have the current
dropdown to choose from or you can add a new dive site.
#3 The main menu "manage dive siteS" is a dedicated view only for all
dive sites. It should have a design which clearly show that I'm not
working with dives (e.g. no profile view). It doesn't edit a dive site
by default but only explicitly. From there in the future I should have
all the tools to manage dive sites in my logbook like edit, find
duplicates, merge, etc...(something like the google contacts app).

For the future:
I tried with their logbooks. My logbook is quite a mess and so their
logbook. These files were created importing dives from several logbook
software. There are a lot of dives with partial data, maybe some
error. Once migrated it's impossible to correct problems. I know that
it's an early version but we should foresee some tool to correct
errors and duplicates.
Comparing my V2 and my V3 files I discovered a lot of of errors in my
old logbook.
I have several duplicates because:
I had several dives in the same place. Same name but some of them with
gps data, some not.
I had several dives in the same place, same name but slightly
different gps points (I mean I used the companion app several times in
the same spot)
I discovered that a row of 8 training dives, the same day in the same
place, have slightly different gps points because the boat moved on
the anchor and now I have 7 different dive sites.

Right now I'm not sure how laymen will solve these problems once migrated.

In closing it's a shame nearly nobody participate to this discussion.
I would like to read that I was the only one having all these
usability problems.

Bye

--
Davide