Dive site management on daily build 4.4.2.669

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Jun 10 08:46:52 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 05:32:03PM +0200, Joakim Bygdell wrote:

> > On 10 Jun 2015, at 17:07, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> >

> > If the user just added a location name, never went to the dive site edit
> > screen and then saves the dive (so Apply changes in the Notes tab) then we
> > look at the name - if it's a known dive site name we pick that one (no
> > idea what to do if there are multiple dive sites with the same name...),
> > if it's not we simply create a dive site with that name and no additional
> > information and use the uuid of that dive site for the dive we just
> > finished editing.
> >
> > Does that all seem reasonable? What am I missing?
>
> If the user already have a dive site with coordinates that have the same
> name we can assume that it is the same and pick that one.

Yes, if there's just one, that's a good idea. I wonder if the
label/editbox should be a combo box after all, one that allows for easy
completion.

Tomaz is going to hate me for going back and forth and back and forth on
the UI here...

> If it is a new dive site for the user and there exists multiple sites
> with the same name, should we show a list for the user to pick from and
> in that case how much more information about the site should we show
> other than country.

Good idea. Show some data about the different sites and allow the user to
pick...

> >> Comparing my V2 and my V3 files I discovered a lot of of errors in my
> >> old logbook.
> >> I have several duplicates because:
> >> I had several dives in the same place. Same name but some of them with
> >> gps data, some not.
> >> I had several dives in the same place, same name but slightly
> >> different gps points (I mean I used the companion app several times in
> >> the same spot)
> >
> > I have that same situation in my data
> >
> >> I discovered that a row of 8 training dives, the same day in the same
> >> place, have slightly different gps points because the boat moved on
> >> the anchor and now I have 7 different dive sites.
> >>
> >> Right now I'm not sure how laymen will solve these problems once migrated.
> >
> > I have no good idea how to do that, either.
>
> How big are the deviations between the GPS coordinates??
> Should we implement some sort of filter that merges dive site coordinates if they are within 50m
> or whatever error margin the GPS locator has.

But what if this is for example a wreck site and the user carefully
specifies the exact GPS coordinates for the different entry points?
But then, I guess, they'll have different names.

So we could have some logic that says "if it's the same name and the GPS
distance is less than 50m, merge them". What GPS spot do we then pick? One
of the two (or more) GPS spots that the user had? Or some average of them?

I have several dives at Blue Corner in Palau. As it turns out there are
several starting points for that dive and if you look closely on the globe
you can see the different spots on the reef where we started the dive.
I don't think I WANT them to get merged, nor would I want some average
spot picked for them.

Not a simple problem...