Dive site management on daily build 4.4.2.669

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Jun 10 11:17:45 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 07:25:38PM +0200, Joakim Bygdell wrote:

> > On 10 Jun 2015, at 17:46, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> >
> > But what if this is for example a wreck site and the user carefully
> > specifies the exact GPS coordinates for the different entry points?
> > But then, I guess, they'll have different names.
>
> Most likely yes.

So what I'm looking to implement now would be something like this:
(and remember, this is all for now about automatic creation of dive sites
when importing from a V2 XML file)

IF two sites have the same name
AND they are closer than 20m
THEN merge them into one site

Different name or different GPS? Different sites.

And of course next we need the ability to identify two sites and say "yep,
these are the same, make them one" in the dive site management menu.

I'll leave this as an excercise for the reader.

> > So we could have some logic that says "if it's the same name and the GPS
> > distance is less than 50m, merge them". What GPS spot do we then pick? One
> > of the two (or more) GPS spots that the user had? Or some average of them?
> >
> > I have several dives at Blue Corner in Palau. As it turns out there are
> > several starting points for that dive and if you look closely on the globe
> > you can see the different spots on the reef where we started the dive.
> > I don't think I WANT them to get merged, nor would I want some average
> > spot picked for them.
>
> That is a tricky one.
> The simple solution is to give them different names, especially if you get access to unique sections from that specific starting point.
> On the other hand, diving site A from left to right rather than right to left, is still the same dive site even if the entry points differ.

I don't think we'll be able to come up with an algorithm that gets this
perfectly right for every user. So I'm trying to come up with something
that gets it right in most cases but doesn't prevent someone from fixing
it later.

So my rationale is "if you meant it to be two different dives, then you
almost certainly should have given it different names". But I'll still
keep the 20m threshold "just in case".

And of course if this turns out to have been stupid because I overlooked a
case where this is totally the wrong thing to do, we can always rip it out
again.