git backend: actually update local cache from remote

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Wed Jun 10 18:18:17 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 2:04 PM, Linus Torvalds

> I'll try to get the "push to remote" done too.

Ok, I think this is it.

It's not particularly well-tested, but it is fairly straightforward.
HOWEVER, note the big commit message comment about why technically
this works in the sense that it can now sync both ways to the remote
git repository, but the whole "cloud sync" needs more thought from a
interface standpoint.

I could add some "sync up to remote" after doing a local save, but I
didn't add that, because I do believe we need more smarts than that
(or if not "smarts", then an actual GUI). Because I don't think it's a
good idea to just try to do the whole network thing unconditionally,
when you often don't have good (or any) internet access when actually
diving with subsurface.

So I think the local git cache should basically always load/store to
the local cache, and we should add some GUI to actually trigger this
"sync with cloud" code. Right now it always triggers when you load
from the cache (but *not* when saving to it).

Dirk, I haven't actually tried your cloud infrastructure, I've just
been testing with my "remote repository on local disk" setup.

                      Linus