Dive site management on daily build 4.4.2.669

Davide DB dbdavide at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 01:09:19 PDT 2015

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 5:50 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>> #2 In spite of the V2 UI, current V3 UI have all location related
>> fields into the dive site panel. Moreover, even the Location name is a
>> dropbox (containing dive sites) hence it's difficult thinking of a
>> user who slip away from this logic.
>
> Here your language has me puzzled a bit again...
> So you are saying "in Subsurface 4.4 and earlier (I think that's what you
> mean with V2) we had all location data (name and GPS coordinates) on the
> Notes tab. But in 4.5 we will have both (plus description, notes and
> tags/taxonomy) on the dive site edit screen?

Yes
V2 xml file 4.4
V3 xml file 4.5

>> Even knowing that to change current dive you click on the dive list,
>> our eyes were drawn upwards on the dropbox.
>> Given that actions on that control are very important I would avoid it.
>
> I'm not quite sure why the dropdown menu is so distracting :-D

These heatmap shows where user's attention lingers the longest:

https://cdn.tutsplus.com/webdesign/uploads/legacy/022_F_Layout/heatmap.jpg

http://psychology.wichita.edu/surl/usabilitynews/91/images/eyetracking_corporate_site_about_us.png

This is a good article on it.
http://psychology.wichita.edu/surl/usabilitynews/91/eyegaze.asp

Most concepts are valid for traditional UI too.

>> > a label that is editable, I assume?
>>
>> Not really. See below
>
> Now I'm confused.
>

> Well - in my mind one of those options was the user typing it in, but you
> don't seem to want that.
> But I have another question. You said earlier that you wanted it to be no
> drop down, either. So I'm assuming you truly want this to be a read-only
> label and to make any changes whatsoever one has to switch to dive site
> editing?
>
> I'm not sure I like that idea as much.
>
> Here's my usual workflow after a dive:
>
> - I always have the companion app running while on a dive boat
> - I download from my first dive computer
> - I quickly add the dive site names, dive masters, buddies, maybe a few
>   quick notes
> - I download from my other dive computers
> - finally I sync with the GPS web service and the GPS locations
>
> The way I envision this, I can do all this without EVER having to switch
> to the dive site view.
> In the third step I simply enter the dive site names. If they are existing
> dive sites, I automagically get the right dive site already. If they are
> new ones, as I "Apply changes" for the dive edit a new dive site with the
> new name gets created. And then in the final step the GPS data is added to
> those sites.
>
> But if the dive site is a read only label, then for every single dive I
> need to click on "dive site edit", then on '+' to add a new site, then
> save that site. That seems way complicated for no benefit that I can
> discern.
>
> Please explain to me what I'm missing.

You are right, having a textbox you save a click and your
after-dive-workflow is exactly like mine (except I have just one DC).
The problem I see is partially explained in my previous reply below.
Moreover, in your/mine workflow the GPS syncing step is the last one.
According to what you stated on the "duplicate dive sites" thread,
when you apply the gps data you could end up changing dive sites
(20/25 meter logic, same name, different name, etc...).
Maybe I'm wrong on this and your solution is slicker. Could be a case
in which I write a wrong name for an existing dive and gps data
download will screw up my dive sites?

>> > If the user just added a location name, never went to the dive site edit
>> > screen and then saves the dive (so Apply changes in the Notes tab) then we
>> > look at the name - if it's a known dive site name we pick that one (no
>> > idea what to do if there are multiple dive sites with the same name...),
>> > if it's not we simply create a dive site with that name and no additional
>> > information and use the uuid of that dive site for the dive we just
>> > finished editing.
>>
>> IMHO here lies the problem (POINT #3 from above). You said that a user
>> should not be forced to use dive sites but... When he writes freely in
>> the location name textbox and save, we (try to) apply the dive site
>> logic under the counter. It's a scam! :)
>
> No, Steve Jobs would say "it's MAGICAL!"

Actually even if the user do not care about dive site, the magical
dive site soldier acts in background.

>> It's much simpler
>
> No, it's much more complicated. And I think to the casual user it's far
> less intuitive.
>
> What do others think?

Ok you bought me.

Habemus Papam