[RFC ]Dive site tags: my try

Davide DB dbdavide at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 01:51:47 PDT 2015

After an endless debate on taxonomy between Dirk, me and Henrik. In
the end we badgered Dirk to implement something :)
The whole process was sketched four months ago when nothing was
developed and discussed in detail so it's normal that not everything
will apply now.

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 7:11 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

>> Yes, as you open Subsurface 4.5 you will prompted for data migration.
>
> So we need to have a "welome" dialog if the user opens (or auto-opens) a
> V2 logbook in Subsurface 4.5
>
> That shouldn't be too hard

Ok

> And that dialog needs to very carefully describe what's happening, maybe
> err on the site of being verbose.

Ok

>> > I understand what "accept" means. But what happens if a user doesn't
>> > accept a dive? Is there a manual process to set geo tags? Or is just the
>> > site name used with no geo tags?
>>
>> I don't know exactly :)
>> There will be no geo-tags.
>> See my comment on the dive site tab:
>
> This is an interesting / challenging dialog; definitely not easy to
> implement and get right - I need to spend more time understanding how much
> of this is reasonable to do and how much is overkill.

I agree, we can skip entirely this.
The important thing is that a welcome dialog explain everything
clearly and that V2 xm user file is saved/backup in some way.

> Yes, we definitely need an option on a dive site to look up data. This way
> after I download a dive from my dive computer and get the GPS coordinates
> I can simply fill in the taxonomy data via geo lookup

If we skip entirely the above import dialog, geo lookup and reverse
geocoding could be performed later in the dive sites management view.
individually or the entire database.
Hence the user who migrate his beloved dives can checks that
everything was ok and eventually doing geo lookups when he is
comfortable that everything works as expected.
Basically we avoid to have two processes at the same time during import.

>> > Why would we? If we can get those data once, we can get them again... I
>> > see no reason to fill up the XML files with all that information if the
>> > user doesn't care about it...
>>
>> Ok, you are right.

>> > I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here.
>>
>> Me too. (I'm joking)
>> Regarding dives without gps data: while in the migration process you
>> choose which field will be assigned during location parsing, here you
>> decide how your new dive names will be formatted. Actually the same
>> thing.
>> It's the manual procedure who scares me a bit. There will be a lot of
>> user errors, duplicates, nonsense...
>
> Yes, this part still worries me.

But  this is really the core of the reason we badgered you :)
I mean that reverse geocoding would be applied only for dives with GPS data.
I agree that trying to format dives without gps data is sci-fi and dangerous.

>> > That makes things easier. But if there is no site name, yet, that is a bit
>> > awkward. Unless you turn that field itself into the button and then if
>> > there is no site dat you turn the text into "click here to add a dive
>> > site".
>
> Funny, so that's the same argument we had a few hours ago. At least we
> both stayed consistent :-)

Really funny indeed. I agree on you solution on the other thread.

>> > OK - that takes a lot of space - but we just dropped the coordinates.
>>
>> Our current tag labels are smaller than those I found in this library.
>
> I don't like this. I don't want these taxonomy tags in the dive notes.

Why? They are very nice to see and add value to the Location name.
If you decided to not use geocoding or even dive site you will not see
anything there.

> OK, this brings us back up to speed on the earlier proposal. I think a lot
> of what you have here is really good. Implementing all this means
> Subsurfae 4.5 will be released around Christmas, though...

Really?

The welcome/ guide screen for the import is a must for laymen. The
background import process is already there and needs to be tweaked
according to the last decision.
The dive site edit/add for the single dive is nearly there. We need to
add tags and a button to load them from a remote service and a
preference panel for them.
The dive sites database management view is nearly there :)

--
Davide
https://vimeo.com/bocio/videos