git backend: actually update local cache from remote

Anton Lundin glance at acc.umu.se
Thu Jun 11 07:28:20 PDT 2015

On 11 June, 2015 - Dirk Hohndel wrote:

> It's not easy to test this in a reliable manner. Ping is blocked in a ton
> of environments. We'd really have to open a direct https connection to the
> cloud server to figure out if we have connectivity or not.

The common trick is to use HTCPCP or such and having a endpoint which
answers in a "known" way other than 200 OK to verify _real_ network
access, and not just some wifi paywall impersonating everything.

If eg. GET http://the-server/are-you-a-teepot answers 418 I'm a teapot
your pretty shure you have _real_ network access.

You can play other tricks with x509 certs but there are corporate envs
playing tricks with such to. (Not that there probably are that many
subsurface users in such envs...)

//Anton

--
Anton Lundin	+46702-161604