git backend: actually update local cache from remote

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Jun 11 07:53:22 PDT 2015

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 04:28:20PM +0200, Anton Lundin wrote:
> On 11 June, 2015 - Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>
> > It's not easy to test this in a reliable manner. Ping is blocked in a ton
> > of environments. We'd really have to open a direct https connection to the
> > cloud server to figure out if we have connectivity or not.
>
> The common trick is to use HTCPCP or such and having a endpoint which
> answers in a "known" way other than 200 OK to verify _real_ network
> access, and not just some wifi paywall impersonating everything.
>
> If eg. GET http://the-server/are-you-a-teepot answers 418 I'm a teapot
> your pretty shure you have _real_ network access.

I always wondered if I would find a way to implement RFC 2324/7168

But that might be a good way to test that we have connectivity / working
proxy.

> You can play other tricks with x509 certs but there are corporate envs
> playing tricks with such to. (Not that there probably are that many
> subsurface users in such envs...)

Umm, err. Me. My employer does indeed do that.
But I don't think they can easily mimick a custom RFC 7168 interaction.

https://cloud.subsurface-divelog.org/make-latte?number-of-shots=3

if the response is

418 with text "Linus does not like non-fat milk"

we have established a working connection.