git backend: actually update local cache from remote

Davide DB dbdavide at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 09:32:48 PDT 2015

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 6:03 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> So any "sync" is a two step process. FIRST we save to the local cache.
> THEN we sync.

Ah!
So if I manually use "Ctrl+S" or "File > Save" I fire this two step process.
If I never save explicitly my logbook, is this two step process fired
automatically every X seconds?

> The situation that I want to avoid is this one:
>
> You load the local cache.
> You start making modification.
> The local cache updates from the remote.
> Now you have two sets of changes, the ones made in Subsurface and the ones
> that got synced from the remote to the local cache. Sure, we could try to
> merge this. I'd rather not have to go there.

How could local be synced form remote while working if we pull/sync at
application start?
Do we foresee two workstations working on the same logbook?
Sorry for my silly question.

>> Then we could have a small round dot like a led (green/red) on the
>> window right upper side to signal if the local repo is in sync with
>> remote repository.
>
> That I'm not so sure about. I'd rather have a symbol that reflects whether
> we have determined that we are connected or not...

Maybe you are not more connected but all your edits were successfully
synced when network was available. Or the contrary.
Hence how do you indicate that all your edits are successfully saved
on local repository but it was not possible to load them on the remote
repository?
>From my proposal above, you would have:

johndoe-logbook.xml (saved)
Sync Led red (not sync)

I'm afraid I'm writing silly questions :)

--
Davide
https://vimeo.com/bocio/videos