git backend: actually update local cache from remote

Robert C. Helling helling at atdotde.de
Thu Jun 11 11:47:16 PDT 2015

On 11 Jun 2015, at 20:25, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

Dirk,

> So you are our posterchild for then implementing merging :-)

that may be way beyond my powers. But I promise I will think about this and try to come up with something. Somehow, we might make use of the fact that our files have more structure than just line numbers, namely they are xml fields.

One somehow simple way do deal with conflicts would be to try to be as clever as possible with the three way merge and if that fails work on a “per dive” basis, i.e. just have the both versions of the dive show up in the dive list (maybe marked somehow) and let the user figure it out.

Given that dives in the git format are files (or actually directories), what happens when in one version a dive is modified and in a separate version it is deleted? Is that detected as a conflict? (probably) How should we present that?

Best
Robert

                      Scientific Coordinator
print "Just another   Phone: +49 89 2180-4523  Theresienstr. 39, rm. B339
    stupid .sig\n";   http://www.atdotde.de