Cloud storage

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Fri Jun 12 22:47:34 PDT 2015

On 10/06/2015 04:55, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> New dailies are up (only Mac is missing, still fighting a build problem
> there). Besides a few fixes for importing GPS coordinates from the
> Subsurface web service the big new change is the first early, early draft
> of connecting to the cloud storage.
>
> The back end is not running on my main server but on an AWS instance, just
> in case I got something terribly wrong and it blows up. :-)
>
> Here's the workflow:
>
> Go to preferences and enter an email address and a password.
> Those two items are securely transmitted to the cloud storage backend.
> The server sends an email to the address you entered with a PIN number.
> At the same time a new field shows up in the preferences to enter that
> PIN. Once you do that (and hit Apply or Done) the storage pool for you is
> created on the server.
>
> Unfortunately you cannot store anything to it from Subsurface since we
> don't have push support for remote git storage. But you should be able to
> access it from the command line
>
> Store things locally to a git repository with branch name as the email
> address you provided earlier.
> Go to that folder and do
> git remote add cloud https://cloud.subsurface-divelog.org/git/<your email>
> You should now be able to push to that remote.
> git push cloud <your email address>
>
> In theory Subsurface should be able to open that repository but when I
> just tried it I realized that this appears to be broken. I need to dig
> into this a bit more to figure out where it goes wrong.
>
> As I said, very early code, but I figured I show people what I've been
> working on for the last couple of weeks.
>
> /D
Dirk,

Regarding cloud access I am a bit confused with the workflow. Please
explain in a bit more detail?

In the preferences panel, should I enter my own email address and an
arbitrary password? The pin gets
sent to my own email address?
If this is so, where does one use ssrftest at hohndel.org and the password
associated with that email address?