Cloud storage

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Jun 13 06:46:46 PDT 2015

> On Jun 12, 2015, at 10:47 PM, Willem Ferguson <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:
>
> Regarding cloud access I am a bit confused with the workflow. Please explain in a bit more detail?

Sure

> In the preferences panel, should I enter my own email address and an arbitrary password? The pin gets
> sent to my own email address?

Yes, enter your email and a random password (nothing you use elsewhere, please).
The password is NOT stored in clear text (I'm not quite as clueless as the US government),
but I don't want to end up causing anyone security issues...

> If this is so, where does one use ssrftest at hohndel.org and the password associated with that email address?

I set that up so people could play with different parts of this without having to go threw
the two step process - but it looks like no one did, which is OK, too.

So the process is like this:

- enter your email (I obviously won't spam you, this is JUST to send you the PIN)
- enter a password
- decide if you want that password stored IN CLEAR TEXT in your preferences
- hit apply / OK

- the backend infrastructure sends you a PIN
- a new field shows up in the preferences where you can enter that PIN
- again hit apply / OK

- now the backend infrastructure initializes an empty git repo for you (but
  that's irrelevant... as far as the user is concerned, now the cloud storage
  is set up)

We don't have a "Save As" function, yet. Basically it's a bit odd to get your
data into the cloud. Right now the easiest way appears to be to load from
the cloud storage (gets you an empty file). Import your data, then save to
cloud, but when I just tested this with a new account it failed, so I'll need
to debug what's wrong there... I will definitely work if you manually push
a branch <your email address> to the git repository (basically the "secret"
git URL is https://cloud.subsurface.org/git/your_email[your_email] <https://cloud.subsurface.org/git/your_email%5Byour_email%5D>

I'll try to fix the "getting data into the cloud storage" issue today...

Thanks for testing, Willem!