cloud storage

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Jun 13 06:53:04 PDT 2015

> On Jun 13, 2015, at 1:26 AM, Joakim Bygdell <j.bygdell at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 12 Jun 2015, at 23:09, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org <mailto:dirk at hohndel.org>> wrote:
>>
>> I just pushed a bunch of changes to the cloud storage.
>>
>> This should be ready for testing now.
>>

> Creating stuff via the preferences went without a hitch in the sense that it did not generate any errors.

Yes, and I can see your storage has been created

> Selecting “Cloud storage open” from file menu gives me this error message.
>
> git clone of https://cloud.subsurface-divelog.org/git/j.bygdell@gmail.com <https://cloud.subsurface-divelog.org/git/j.bygdell@gmail.com> failed (Failed to make directory '/Library/Application Support/Subsurface': Permission denied)

Why would it try to create this directory in /Library? It should create it in ~/Library
(and there you should definitely have permission to create it... it's where by default
we create your .XML / .ssrf file as well. Very strange. From the logs on my side
you are on 10.10 just as I am (I'm on my iMac this morning, not on my Linux box
so I figured I'd test from this machine as well.

I'll investigate this bug, too

> Unable to open git repository at 'https://cloud.subsurface-divelog.org/git/j.bygdell@gmail.com[j.bygdell@gmail.com]' <https://cloud.subsurface-divelog.org/git/j.bygdell@gmail.com[j.bygdell@gmail.com]'>
> Failed to read 'https://cloud.subsurface-divelog.org/git/j.bygdell@gmail.com[j.bygdell@gmail.com]' <https://cloud.subsurface-divelog.org/git/j.bygdell@gmail.com[j.bygdell@gmail.com]'>
> The target directory on Mac should be "~/Library/Application Support/Subsurface" as the user don’t have write access to "/Library/Application Support".

Yep

> After manual creating the Subsurface directory under “/Library/Application Support" I get the following error when I try to open the cloud repository.
>
> git clone of https://cloud.subsurface-divelog.org/git/j.bygdell@gmail.com <https://cloud.subsurface-divelog.org/git/j.bygdell@gmail.com> failed (Reference 'refs/remotes/origin/j.bygdell at gmail.com <mailto:refs/remotes/origin/j.bygdell at gmail.com>' not found)
> Unable to open git repository at 'https://cloud.subsurface-divelog.org/git/j.bygdell@gmail.com[j.bygdell@gmail.com]' <https://cloud.subsurface-divelog.org/git/j.bygdell@gmail.com[j.bygdell@gmail.com]'>
> Failed to read 'https://cloud.subsurface-divelog.org/git/j.bygdell@gmail.com[j.bygdell@gmail.com]' <https://cloud.subsurface-divelog.org/git/j.bygdell@gmail.com%5Bj.bygdell@gmail.com%5D'>
This appears to be the issue I just mentioned in my email to Willem.
It seems that somehow the initial creation of the branch failed. I can
try to fix this.

> Interesting though, I can do a manual clone of the cloud repo from a terminal.

Which branch are you cloning? If I look in your repo it doesn't appear
to have a branch initialized...

Thank you, Joakim, for testing this. This is the only way we'll get this to a
useful state - if people play with it and help me identify all the bugs.

I'll try to get things to work "from scratch" with a new account on my Mac
and let you know as I make progress