cloud storage

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Jun 13 07:17:53 PDT 2015

> On Jun 13, 2015, at 7:06 AM, Joakim Bygdell <j.bygdell at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> Selecting “Cloud storage open” from file menu gives me this error message.
>>>
>>> git clone of https://cloud.subsurface-divelog.org/git/j.bygdell@gmail.com <https://cloud.subsurface-divelog.org/git/j.bygdell@gmail.com> failed (Failed to make directory '/Library/Application Support/Subsurface': Permission denied)
>>
>> Why would it try to create this directory in /Library? It should create it in ~/Library
>> (and there you should definitely have permission to create it... it's where by default
>> we create your .XML / .ssrf file as well. Very strange. From the logs on my side
>> you are on 10.10 just as I am (I'm on my iMac this morning, not on my Linux box
>> so I figured I'd test from this machine as well.
>>
>> I'll investigate this bug, too
>
> Another thing, once I created the Subsurface folder under “/Library/Application Support/“, subsurface created a new folder named Subsurface in the one I created.
> Generating structure like : “/Library/Application Support/Subsurface/Subsurface"

Yes, that's the pattern Linus chose. But I still don't understand why it
uses /Library. I just removed my settings and everything on my Mac
(also running 10.10) and it correctly creates ~/Library/Application Support/Subsurface/Subsurface/[hash]

We use system_default_directory() to figure out that path and that
uses Qt's QStandardPaths::AppDataLocation (if you are using Qt5.4
or newer) or QStandardPaths::DataLocation (with older Qt).
Are you running this as root for some weird reason? How are you
starting Subsurface? Is this my daily binary or did you build this
yourself?

>>> Interesting though, I can do a manual clone of the cloud repo from a terminal.
>>
>> Which branch are you cloning? If I look in your repo it doesn't appear
>> to have a branch initialized…
>
> I just tested the connectivity using the same actions as in the error message to se if it where a user:password related error.

OK. I'm cleaning up the errors to make them more user friendly. And I'm
fixing the bug with pushing the first commit into a new branch (something
I never tested before, oops).

But I have no idea what's going on with the default_directory...