cloud storage

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Jun 13 15:42:01 PDT 2015

> On Jun 13, 2015, at 2:04 PM, Joakim Bygdell <j.bygdell at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 13 Jun 2015, at 18:20, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 05:02:23PM +0200, Joakim Bygdell wrote:
>>>
>>> Built from master this morning using the build script.
>>>
>>> Starting Subsurface both from GUI and from CLI as a standard user gives the same error (target path).
>>
>> I'm at a loss. Are you comfortable with a debugger / QtCreator?
>> (sorry, not trying to insult your expertize as developer - but we have
>> people with all kinds of different levels of expertize on this list and I
>> sometimes forget who are the hackers posing as divers and who are the
>> divers who aren't hackers...)
>>
>> I'd love for you to set a breakpoint in system_default_directory() and
>> figure out what's going on there...
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> /D
>
> Stepping through system_default_directory when subsurface starts.
> filename is NULL, which triggers if statement.
> QString name = QStandardPaths::standardLocations(location).first();
> generates filename = “/Library/Application Support/Subsurface/Subsurface”.
>
> Using DataLocation instead of AppDataLocation gives the correct path.
> QT version is 5.4.0

So the problem is that going with the "new and improved" API in 5.4 actually
gives us the wrong answer? Great.
Let's remove that new and improved API and use QStandardPaths::dataLocation()
for all versions instead. I assume that would fix things for both of you?

Anyone want to send me a patch (I'm neck deep in fixing the creation of
a valid remote branch so that Subsurface cloud storage becomes useful)