More divesite management breakage..

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Jun 16 21:45:05 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 05:47:29PM -1000, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> So the Uemis downloader breaks divesite management even more.
>
> Let's say you download from one dive computer, set the dive sies, add
> your buddies, get everything ready. Then you download the same dives
> from your second dive computer that happens to be an Uemis device, and
> randomly - by pure luck (or lack of it), some of your dive sites that
> you edited and added GPS coordinates for will now be corrupted.
>
> Why?
>
> The Uemis downloader creates that *completely* bogus "from Uemis"
> divesite for the dives it downloads. And so when we merge the dives,
> who knows which one we'll pick - the one we carefully edited by hand,
> or the crap useless one from the Uemis downloader.

It should only do that when the Uemis tells us that it HAS divesite
information. And since mentally deranged people can (and do - I have
evidence) enter dive sites with GPS data on the Uemis this does seem
reasonable (or it did when I implemented it).

Now of course I wonder why this hits you since I seriously doubt that you
entered dive site information on the Uemis. Maybe you can give me your
Uemis when you're back and I can play with the data from it?

I'll also see if I can reproduce this with mine - I tend to always
download from my Uemis first, maybe that's why I haven't seen this, yet.