Dive Site Duplicates [was Re: Dive site management on daily build 4.4.2.669]

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Jun 17 06:34:02 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 03:11:45PM +0200, Davide DB wrote:

> Last question is about the UUID. Did it change across different builds?
> I understood that it should be created always the same for the same dive site.

Not sure what gave you this impression :-)

Here's the actual code

	while (id == 0 || get_dive_site_by_uuid(id)) {
		id = rand() & 0xff;
		id |= (rand() & 0xff) << 8;
		id |= (rand() & 0xff) << 16;
		id |= (rand() & 0xff) << 24;
	}

So it's a randon number and we make sure it's unique. So yes, if you
create a dive site during two different runs of Subsurface, you will most
definitely get different uuids.

We need the ability to manage / merge them.

But just like everyone else here, Tomaz has real life competing for his
time and attention. And in order for us not to step on each others' toes,
I am working on other parts of the code (the cloud storage backend).

So this may take a little while to sort itself out.