Dive Site Duplicates [was Re: Dive site management on daily build 4.4.2.669]

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Jun 17 07:16:41 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 03:52:44PM +0200, Davide DB wrote:

> Of course.
> I was just trying to understand the logic behind this.
> I thought that a dive site should be unique as the real place it
> represent hence the same (V2 format) dive would generate always the
> same dive site even across subsurface instances. Basically an hash of
> the location data. But there's something I do not get. Anyway, nothing
> important.

Let me try to explain. Every aspect of the information we have about a
dive site could change. The user could edit the name, the description,
could move the GPS coordinates. To them it's still the same dive site. And
the dives that reference it by its UUID need to still be connected to it.

So we cannot use a hash of the information contained. It has to be a
unique but otherwise random itentifier.

Now an interesting question comes up when we import data from a different
source. We have some dives loaded already and we are adding more dives to
it. We could conceivably try to see if we have matching dive sites and
then adjust the UUID of the imported dives accordingly. So if the new file
contains a dive site with the exact same name and a GPS location within
20 meters, we could say "it's the same site" and instead of adding a
second copy we could simply put the correct UUID into the imported dives.

Would you file a bug so this doesn't get forgotten with everything else
going on right now?

Thanks