Dive Site Duplicates [was Re: Dive site management on daily build 4.4.2.669]

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Jun 17 07:47:40 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 04:23:01PM +0200, Davide DB wrote:

> > Now an interesting question comes up when we import data from a different
> > source. We have some dives loaded already and we are adding more dives to
> > it. We could conceivably try to see if we have matching dive sites and
> > then adjust the UUID of the imported dives accordingly. So if the new file
> > contains a dive site with the exact same name and a GPS location within
> > 20 meters, we could say "it's the same site" and instead of adding a
> > second copy we could simply put the correct UUID into the imported dives.
>
> Ok, this was the matching algorithm we spoke about few days ago.
> I think the 20/25m area for gps fixes is already implemented because I
> run an import with the latest build and 8 dives with very near gps
> created 7 dives. Now just three.

So these are (as far as Subsurface is concerned) two very different
situations.

One (the one that's implemented) is when you load a V2 XML file that has
no dive site structure.

The other is when you import a V3 file (or from git) into an existing dive
log. Different code paths, different logic required. This doesn't exist,
yet.

> > Would you file a bug so this doesn't get forgotten with everything else
> > going on right now?
>
> Yes of course

Thanks