Cloud storage and web view

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Jun 17 21:50:18 PDT 2015

> On Jun 17, 2015, at 9:19 PM, Gaetan Bisson <bisson at archlinux.org> wrote:
>
> [2015-06-17 19:28:20 -0700] Dirk Hohndel:
>> Anyway, give it a try, let me know what you think.
>
> Thanks a lot for all the hard work.
>
> I'd like to keep a local copy of my data but use the cloud storage as a
> backup. In "Preferences" under "Defaults" I have ticked:
> - "Local Default File"
> - "Sync to cloud in the background"
>
> Will this have the intended effect? Will this sync the data that is
> currently already stored in my XML file, or only new dives I add?

No it won't. But using the cloud storage as default file will.

Everything it does is FIRST on the local git tree, which THEN gets synced
to the cloud.

Sync to cloud in the background is poorly named. What it means
is that IFF you are using cloud storage it will always try to immediately
push the changes to the cloud after writing them locally. Otherwise it
just syncs with the cloud when you first open the file (which is kind of
counter intuitive). So this part of the logic (and it's documentation)
clearly needs some work.

> Thanks again and sorry if I missed the explanations on how this works.

I'm not sure I explained that part well.