[Patch] Fix planner notes gas change output logic

Robert C. Helling robert at euve10195.vserver.de
Wed Jun 17 23:16:36 PDT 2015

Hi,

> Am 18.06.2015 um 02:09 schrieb Rick Walsh <rickmwalsh at gmail.com>:
>
> However, I think a more intuitive output would be:
>
> depth	dur.	runtime	gas
> 20m	1min	1min	air
> 20m	5min	5min
> 20m	10min	15min	EAN80
> 20m	5min	20min	air
> 9m	1min	21min		<-for the segment of 1min duration leading up to the 21min runtime (we ascend to 9m), we are still breathing air
> 9m	0min	21min	EAN80	<-there is zero time at 9m, but this is where to change to EAN80
> 6m	17min	39min		<-keep breathing EAN80
> 0m	2min	41min
>
> Do you think this is a clear and reasonable approach?

This is definitely a correct approach. It is not what I had in mind, though, but it is very close. These notes are supposedly copied to wet notes and taken underwater. So, to avoid task overloading, the display should really be minimal and contain no clutter.

A 0min stop looks a bit weird to me. So my plan was to merge that segment with the preceding transition an thus place the ean80 there.

After all, the printed gas indicates the diver should do a gas switch.

Look at it from this point of view: the table row.

9m x min y min EANzz

Should really be read as the instruction to the diver:

Go to 9m. There switch to the gas. Then stay there until runtime y. Then go to the next line.

At least that supports my intended way of doing things.

BTW this whole discussion is a bit academic: gas switches without stop that we are worrying about do not appear in real dives. As no stops come with short shallow dives for which you would not take additional gases. Or we could resolve it by stating a gas change is automatically followed by a stop of at least one minute. After all the gas change takes some time. Not to mention esoteric topics like the oxygen window.

Best
Robert

Ps: this is probably the longest email I ever typed on the phone.