[Patch] Fix planner notes gas change output logic

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 07:51:57 PDT 2015

Robert,

On 18 June 2015 at 18:55, Robert Helling <helling at atdotde.de> wrote:

> Rick,
>
> On 18.06.2015, at 08:49, Rick Walsh <rickmwalsh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> For the option ignoring transitions, what do you think of having a zero
> duration segment, but not including the preceding ascent segment.  That way
> we put the gas change at the correct depth, but indicate by a zero duration
> that there isn't a stop required.
>

> that sounds like a good idea. Just one thing: When not displaying
> transitions, the “duration” is not only the time of the stop but includes
> the time to get to that depth (so the sum of the durations add up to the
> runtime). So, taking that into account only displaying a zero length stop
> while for the duration using the time since leaving the previous stop is
> just equivalent to what I was suggesting ;-)

The attached patch should do just that.  Please have a look.

Note:
-Duration is always the difference between the runtimes of adjacent rows,
whether transitions are displayed or not.
-The 'postponed' logic is gone completely - whether or not the gas is
printed now depends on whether the gas used for a segment is the same gas
that was last printed.
-If a gas change occurs that doesn't require a deco stop, an instantaneous
stop (i.e. a new table row) is created.
-I have added symbols to designate descent (↓), ascent (↑), level (-) or
stop (x).  Something similar (but in words) could be done for verbatim
output, rather than just transition, but I don't know how to deal with
translations, etc.  I defined the string variable with a length of 20 with
this in mind, so there's a bit of room for words.

A few example plans

60m, 15min bottom time with standard gasses
including transitions

depth

duration

runtime

gas

↓ 60m

2min

2min

(18/45)

- 60m

9min

10min

↑ 21m

5min

15min

x 21m

0min

15min

EAN50

↑ 15m

1min

15min

x 15m

1min

16min

↑ 12m

0min

17min

x 12m

1min

18min

↑ 9m

0min

18min

x 9m

1min

19min

↑ 6m

0min

19min

x 6m

5min

24min

oxygen

↑ 0m

2min

26min

same dive excluding transitions

depth

duration

runtime

gas

↓ 60m

2min

2min

(18/45)

- 60m

9min

10min

↑ 21m

5min

15min

x 21m

0min

15min

EAN50

x 15m

2min

16min

x 12m

1min

18min

x 9m

1min

19min

x 6m

5min

24min

oxygen

↑ 0m

2min

26min

A nonsensical dive that is exactly the same with or without transitions

depth

duration

runtime

gas

↓ 20m

1min

1min

air

- 20m

5min

5min

- 20m

10min

15min

EAN80

- 20m

5min

20min

air

↑ 9m

1min

21min

x 9m

0min

21min

EAN80

↑ 0m

2min

24min

> > > In TDI training you will switch to your "low" deco gas as deep as
> > > possible, usually before the first stop. We often dive with trimix,
EAN40,
> > > EAN80 and the switch to EAN40 will be at 80'/25m or 100'/30m
(depending on
> > > whether you decided on pO₂ of 1.4 or 1.6 for the deco gas). Which
tends to
> > > be before the first stop.
> > >

> > I don't really see why some training agencies push such a policy,
> > especially if the mod is quite a bit deeper than the fist stop.
> >
> > We usually just switch at whatever the fist stop after the mod of the
> > deco gas is. No reason to stop the whole team and do the switch.
>
> Switch is done in transition. No stop. And the rationale is to start
> breathing the higher O2 as early as possible.

In my view those 1-2 minutes doesn't matter. If you'd like add a minute
3m / 10ft below your fist stop and do the switch there.

> > I know that some divers "on the fly" but I'd say thats a really bad
> > idea. Which gas you're breathing is really important and we always
> > require the other team members to verify the gas switch before starting
> > to breath that gas.
>
> Yeah, that's not part of the procedures we teach. For better or worse.

Anton, I see you'd rather wait a minute until you've ascended to the next
stop, rather than switch at the MOD.  To achieve that, the switch needs to
occur in the dive planner calculations rather than the notes output code.
It should then be picked up automatically by the output code.  As that
method is far from universally adopted, if it is implemented I believe it
should be an option rather than default behaviour.  As you pointed out, I
agree that the difference in (on)/offgassing will be two fifths of bugger
all.