[PULL REQUEST] GSoC Printing: part 2

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Jun 19 20:42:13 PDT 2015

On Sat, Jun 20, 2015 at 05:19:15AM +0200, Gehad Elrobey wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 9:05 PM, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > So this is the second batch of patches for this GSoC task.
> >
> > Here Gehad has added another template which is the "one dive per page",
> > some
> > minor fixes and renames here and there and also support for printing on any
> > page size (or "render target" size).
> >
> > Also good news is that I'm now actually able to use Grantlee properly
> > on Windows and the printouts are rendered. Also the NO_PRINTING option
> > actually
> > works this time.

I've been trying to get this to work here and can't. Clicking Preview gets
me nothing (which you know - but it should at least give you a "not
implemented, yet" or something.... Clicking print gets me an error that
the template wasn't found.

> > - It would be great if you can implement the Print->Preview dialog that we
> > had, since that was very useful not to generate a PDF to be able to view
> > how it *actually* renders.
> >
> I am planing to implement the preview dialog in the "TemplateEdit" class so
> I think this will be finished in the next two weeks.

Excellent.

> > - Supporting the "print selected dives" properly is easy to implement and
> > nice to have while testing.
>
> I am going to work on this in the current week.

Yes - this is really easy and you did the same thing in the HTML export
already...

> > - Not sure we have discussed a "Statistics print" for GSoC. Is this
> > something
> > which came from user requests - e.g. from IRC?
> >
> That was mentioned in the proposal, we can cancel this feature if you would
> suggest this.

I think there are lots of people who are interested in statistics - we
need to redo them in the UI - but I'm not convinced that printing out
statistics is all that interesting. Sure, it would be nice to have a
summary at the end... n dives printed, max depth, total time spent...

But beyond that it gets very hard to find statistics that are interesting
for all the users. So I'd be OK with this being handled as "optional" and
more focus being spent on getting things right.

> > - Can you update us with your TODO list or at least with the next few
> > steps out
> > of it?
>
> here is my list:
> - Fixing the dive profile rendering bugs (mentioned in a previous email).
> - Implementing the flow layout template.
> - Implement the remaining features in the "PrintOptions" class (Including
> "print selected dives" option).
> - Implement the "TemplateEdit" Class (Including the print preview).

Thanks for the list - I'll ask Lubomir as your mentor to respond to this.