GSoC Status - Week 3 (Android Port)

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Jun 20 14:53:08 PDT 2015

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 06:26:51PM +0300, Grace Karanja wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 11:55 PM, Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava at kde.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Grace, always do a rebase from master so your work is not hard to merge
> > later.
> > I'm doing the review right now.
> >

> Here are patches containing the work done so far.
>
> To compile the mobile executable, call cmake with -DSUBSURFACE_MOBILE=True.
> This
> will result in a subsurface-mobile executable.

Grace,

this is really good work. I have only tried it on the desktop as there is
no infrastructure to build for Android, yet, but it clearly goes in the
right direction.

There are two things that I would like to see

a) having a File menu is of course a desktop thing - why would you do this
in a mobile app. So let's get rid of this and instead show a big button
that offers to open a data file

b) but then, of course, the idea of working with a "file" on a mobile
device is IMHO wrong to begin with. Could you instead implement a
preferences dialog where the user can enter their email address and
password and then have a button "Open cloud storage" which does just that?
I think that would be a lot more realistic for a mobile app.

But overall this is a great start, please keep up the good work!