dive site management enhancements (request)

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Jun 22 13:13:53 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 12:47:34PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 6:00 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 05:42:33PM +0800, Miika Turkia wrote:
> >>
> >> - Allow editing of multiple sites on divesite management. E.g. when
> >> selecting a few days worth of dives, it would be nice to be able to
> >> add names to these all with one go, seeing all the selected dives on
> >> divelist and switching between them. (I used the automated mode when
> >> recording GPS coordinates.)
> >
> > Not sure how the UI for that would work. Can you explain a bit more?
>
> So I don't know what Anton had in mind, but from my experience last
> week, what *I* would like to see is:
>
>  - when downloading the GPS data, do something very similar to the
> "dive download" window, where you list the dives that have matched up
> to new GPS information *before* applying the state.
>
>  - but in addition to the dive list (and the checkboxes so that you
> can select to use downloaded GPS locations for only a subset of the
> dives), you'd have a text-entry box to name the new sites.

Oh wow, that is a cool idea. I really like that.
If that kernel hacking thing doesn't work out for you, maybe you could go
into user interface design. On second thought, never mind.
(I need to see if I can still build Subsurface 1.0...)

> IOW, I think the dive computer download dialogue really works as a
> good example of what the GPS download should do. It's a very similar
> multi-phase operation: first we download the information (without
> actually applying it), then we select the dives we want to add info
> for, and then we apply it. The only difference would be that we'd have
> that text-field for naming the dive sites as we go along.
>
> (Which wouldn't be wrong for the divecomputer download dialogue
> either, for that matter - maybe there is room for some sharing of
> setup code).

Yeah - I'm thinking there could be some really cool similarity /
consistency between all these dialogs.

Think about it this way. Whether you download from your second dive
computer or download GPS data, you are doing something quite similar: you
are adding data to the existing dive list.

This could turn into a really cool user experience if done right.
If only I had any talent and/or skill for this stuff... that would be neat
to work on.

Great idea from our Finns...