Provide planner option to switch gas only when a stop is required

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 14:29:15 PDT 2015

Thanks Robert,

On 25 Jun 2015 6:12 am, "Robert C. Helling" <helling at atdotde.de> wrote:

> the patches look good to me. Still I don’t know if there is really a use
case for this in the planner that justifies the addition of a checkbox.
Anton? Dirk?

I agree we already have a lot of options, taking up a lot of space, so I
won't complain if this doesn't get applied. I think it is justifiable to
hold off on the gas switch in practice on a blue-water ascent. I like that
we can plan the dive that way, but in my testing, the difference to the
calculated plan is small.

In general,  I think UI changes could help free up a lot of space:
- less padding in gas and depth tables
- all configuration options in a pop-up window
- rearranging the screen. E.g. notes at top left, gas bottom left and depth
input bottom right.

I have no idea how to do any of that.

> Regarding hypoxic gases: So far we allowed switching to those and
displayed a warning in the notes. But maybe this is the better approach.
Maybe we should use a #define in the planner for the minimal ppO2 (160mbar)
rather than hardcoding that number (of course I did that as well in the
part that does the warning).

I tried to test for the ppO2 of the current gas at the next level, but for
some reason couldn't get the helper functions to calculate for the next
depth. But really, if you're using hypoxic trimix you're probably doing a
deep enough dive to justify it, probably racking up a lot of deco, and
probably want to switch gas sooner rather than later. So I thought the
cruder test (if %O2 < 16%) was excusable.

#define min_ppO2 is a better approach if we use it more than once.

Rick