GPS positions with companion app

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Jun 24 22:50:23 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 09:12:46PM -0700, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 07:21:53AM +0800, Miika Turkia wrote:
> > I have tested out the GPS coordinates a bit with companion app. As I
> > am lazy, I rather set it to automatic tracking in the morning and
> > forget about it. However, this ends up getting me wrong coordinates.
>
> That's how I always use it. But I haven't been on a boat dive since all
> the changes to the dive site handling, so it's entirely possible that this
> is currently broken in creative ways :-(
>
> > Currently we drive to a buyu line and tie the boat there for the
> > duration of the dive. Thus an option to grab the position after the
> > dive starts would be perfect for these dives. (Now I usually get the
> > position while still on the way to the dive site.) Of course this mode
> > does not work for drift diving, but that is why I suggest this kind of
> > an option for the new and shiny GPS import Linus envisioned.
>
> The way it SHOULD work is that if it has a fix during the dive, it takes
> the first such fix. If not, it tries to find a fix before or after.
>
> I can stare at the code a bit to see if I see a problem, or I can add some
> verbose debugging option that allows us to see which fixes it picks and
> why.

I did stare at the code and the more I did so the less the code made
sense. So I did the obvious thing and rewrote it :-) ... and added a TON
of debugging statements. This was pushed to master and daily builds have
been triggered.

Miika, I would love it if you could try this (but I understand if you
don't have the time or network bandwidth to do so). I think the debug
messages are verbose enough to make it easy to track down what happened
and why the fixes are chosen.

Now I need to add another piece of UI that allows us to import GPX files
in the desktop app... we can do so in the Android app but if someone has a
GPX file from some device we should just offer to read those and use the
same synch algorithm...