great progress on dive site handling

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Jun 27 16:13:41 PDT 2015

On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 06:35:25AM +0800, Miika Turkia wrote:

> >> Here is something from a very quick test:
> >>
> >> - Not able to zoom into the map when in edit location mode. Have to
> >> get rid of the popup to pick a site.

After discussing this a bit I came to the conclusion that I want to remove
the coordinates from the quick popup edit window and that I quite
explicitly DON'T want you to set the location in the globe without going
to the (not yet implemented - Tomaz is working on it) full dive site
management screen.

> >> - I have to click right and select 'edit selected dive location' to
> >> able to set a dive site. And then it zooms out. (marble is a few days
> >> old, so this might have improved already)
> >
> > I experienced the same issue - it doesn't show the message that one can
> > edit the site in the dive view anymore. That was an intentional change.
> > But I don't understand why it zoomed out. Will look. I can reproduce that

Same here. There are way too many conflicting things we are trying to do
and Marble is doing so poorly when it comes to its events handling that
I'd rather not try to implement all this.

> >> - GPS coordinates from new dive are lost if selecting an old site with
> >> no coordinates (new one GPS synced)
> >
> > Can you explain more? Do you mean the map view? That just takes a couple
> > of seconds to reset. Or do you mean that the data in the dive site is
> > lost? That would be bad.
>
> I had the site on my log with only a name, no coordinates. Now I dove
> there again with companion app. Synced the GPS data and then selected
> the name of the dive site. This replaced all info from the old dive
> site, overwriting the gps with empty value.

Yes. You basically switched to an existing dive site. If you had done it
the way ${DEITY} intended (i.e., FIRST set the dive site and THEN imported
the GPS data), everything would have worked.

> I would prefer a merge where we take the values over empty fields, no
> matter which one is newer.

Umm, no. That's completely bogus, Miika. If I have one dive site set for
my dive and switch to another one, then I am switching. I'm not merging.
That would be a horrible user experience and would lead to all kinds of
confusion.

Sure, we could do something magical and special for dives that have as
dive site what was imported from our companion app. But then how is that
different from you going in and setting the GPS coordinates of the dive
and then switching dive sites to a different site? It's a different site.

It just doesn't make sense to me.

> >> - It would be great if the currently selected divesite was highlighted
> >> somehow on the map, it is really hard to spot it now when the sites
> >> are close to each other, maybe the dive map changed or something to
> >> ensure the correct spot is recognized.
> >
> > That has been unchanged for a long time. I'll think about something.
>
> Yes, I have suffered from it for years :) Anyway, it is more prominenet
> when using the companion app and trying to see where the last dive was..

I have been poking at this for a while and still have no good idea how to
do this. I'll keep trying.