great progress on dive site handling

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sat Jun 27 17:42:13 PDT 2015

On Sat, Jun 27, 2015 at 5:01 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> This has been rewritten since last week.

Dirk, I have tried the new thing. The "obvious thing" is as broken as
it ever was.

The sane and natural thing DOES NOT WORK.

What you need to do right now is insane.

Let me walk you through it.

 - start subsurface with a dive that has no dive site info

 - use ^G to download GPS location. This works, but now you have a
dive site called "Auto-created dive 1439" or something like that.

So far so good. Things work and everything makes sense to me. So now
you just want to fix things up and name it correctly.

 - So you select the dive and fight the Marble globe zoom until it
actually shows the dive site, and recognize the place or see another
dive, and realize that the dive site name is "Fish Rock".

Ok, so at this point, things actually still work really well, apart
from the Marble oddity. It's not just the zooming, if you had that
dive selected before, the globe didn't move, I think. But that's
probabyl a marble thing.

But now the real problem occurs, because:

 - the *natural* thing to do is to just edit the dive site name. That
actually seems to work, and even gives you auto-complete on the names,
which makes you go "wow, that's convenient", and you are happy, and
save the end result.

EXCEPT THAT DIDN'T WORK. Exactly like Miika described, and exactly
like it was when I was in Maui.

Yes, the new thing works when you press the odd icon on the right. And
I do agree that that's a huge improvement functionality-wise (you now
*can* get subsurface to do the sane thing), But it's not the natural
interface.

And yes, I understand what actually happens when you start editing the
dive site name. It actually picks a totally different divesite. I get
it. But that's not how it appears to the user.

My gut feel is that in order to avoid this very natural confusion (and
I say it's natural, because I did it, and Miika clearly did the same
thing, and either that means that it's natural, or it means that Miika
and I are some kind of mental twins) would be to simply:

 (a) make the "Location" string be non-editable entirely, so that the
"natural" mistake just can't happen, and it also is visually clear
that there isn't anything you can modify there.

 (b) to change the location, you *have* to press that edit button, and
then as part of that "Dive site edit" popup, you'd be able to either
edit it (like now) or choose a new from a drop-down.

at that point, I think the dive site management would actually work fairly well.

But there might well be other options.  The above sounds like a
reasonably minimal change.

           Linus