Customizable Print Formats GSoC 2015

Gehad Elrobey gehadelrobey at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 21:52:56 PST 2015

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 2:05 PM, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 3 March 2015 at 01:10, Gehad Elrobey <gehadelrobey at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > As Subsurface became a mentoring organization in GSoC '15  so I am
> willing
> > to join this year under Subsurface organization.
> >
> > I am interested in the idea of "Adding customizable print formats".
> > I am specially interested in this idea as subsurface lacks good printing
> > capabilities and also this project will be some how related to the HTML
> > codebase I wrote in my project last year.
> >
> > Before I start writing my proposal I would like to know the community's
> (and
> > Lubomir for sure as the mentor) opinions and expectations about the
> project?
> > and what do you think is missing mainly in the current printing system?
> >

> some random thoughts,
>
> i would agree that some research and user feedback is needed here,
> since as a non-user the current printing capabilities seem static but
> sufficient to me!
> the facebook share is even less flexible than what we have for
> printing. perhaps it's possible to unify the backend for social
> network share layouting and the print layouting, since doing a
> printout is probably for the purpose of sharing:

In my opinion facebook sharing is limited to show a dive profile (with some
dive photos if they exist) and add the remaining data to the photo caption,
while printing on the other hand needs to be highly customizable to be able
to use every space in the paper. Please correct me if I am wrong(I don't
use the feature as a user).

> - ShareLayout could be the backend for what i describe
> - a ShareLayout will determine the social network share or printout layout
> - having or not having the profile or the table could be a toggle
> option in ShareLayout
> - ShareLayoutOptions could be the frontend that the user interacts
> with and it generates a ShareLayout
> - the current PrintLayout could arrange ShareLayouts e.g. user defined
> NxM layouts
> - the facebook share will upload a single ShareLayout

Can you clarify this part more please, I don't get how user data will be
mapped to the ShareLayout?

> i would ditch the QTablexxxxxx implementations completely and
> implement a custom QPainter that is HTML template based (and probably
> quite slow).
> Tomaz at some point proposed a Qt template library for custom
> printing, but i don't like the idea of adding even more dependencies
> to Subsurface. if others approve of that, i would do the same.

I am interested in using HTML templates that gives high customization to
the prints, while the library Tomaz has proposed seems to be very good too.
I think we may need Dirk's opinion about the dependency.

> this part from the ideas page is important:
> "But the team is open to other ideas that solve the underlying
> problem: being able to customize the print output to include the
> information that the user perceives as relevant and giving the user
> control over major style elements like font sizes and positioning of
> the various data."
>
> i think, before you start writing the proposal users should provide
> feedback on what level of customization they want from the print
> layouting.

I am going to ask for more user input in subsurface user forum.

--
regards,
Gehad