Queries

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 01:53:29 PST 2015

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 10:38 AM, utpal kumar Jha <coolutpaljha at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello I went through the complete user documentation and accordingly have
> some queries regarding it . Hear me out
>
> 1) As I can see Major part of Dive log is to have a dive computer . Is
> there any substitute for it which can get the work done I mean any
> simulation softwares
> or something in which test files can be generated and accordingly data
> downloaded from the simulation software ?

Yep, there is simulator, more info in:
http://subsurface-divelog.org/documentation/contributing/testing-subsurface/

We do also have some test dives available in the sources (under dives
directory). Actually only download related work requires one to download
dives, otherwise it is usually sufficient to open an existing log...

> 2) I see there exists a Companion app at "
> http://git.hohndel.org/?p=subsurface-companion.git;a=summary" in which
> work hasn't been done from quite a while Is the project still in existence
> I mean is it still accepting patches .

It is existing and accepts patches. As far as I know, there just isn't bugs
to be fixed and all features are already implemented. The companion app
only logs GPS coordinates. (A port of the desktop application to android is
a different matter.)

> 3) There is also an Android Directory which just has Manifest ad Drawable
> Files . are these files anyway associated with the porting on Android
> platform also in the ideas page regarding porting on Android Platform not
> much of info is provided could you shed some light ? Also has any work been
> done on this project or is it completely new and everything needs to
> implemented from scratch ?

I suppose someone who actually knows something about the Android will chime
in..but in the mean while, check out following:

https://github.com/glance-/subsurface-android

> 4) Where could be the starting point to start reading code and does the
> existing project use and IDE or just simple text editor ?

Probably as many ways to do this as there are developers. Some use IDE some
text editors. Some configurations and style info is available in
CodingStyle file in the sources.

miika