Customizable Print Formats GSoC 2015

Gehad Elrobey gehadelrobey at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 03:36:34 PST 2015

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 1:29 PM, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 6 March 2015 at 13:13, Robert Helling <helling at atdotde.de> wrote:
> >
> > On 06.03.2015, at 10:31, Anton Lundin <glance at acc.umu.se> wrote:
> >
> > As far as i can understand http://qt-project.org/wiki/QtWebEngine , Qt's
> > html renderer is based on chromium so i don't think its lacking any
> > bells and whistles.
> >

> > I am glad to hear that. Still we need it to describe a printed page
> rather
> > (with elements to grow/shrink to fit paper sizes etc) than an page in a
> web
> > browser. As a start, I just tried to produce some simple example with
> > LibreOfficeWriter and save that as html but the output is not even close
> > the way the document looked.
> >

> yeah, HTML is really only well fit for web browsers and as everyone
> knows when you print a web-page it may look *a bit* different in terms
> of layout / scaling etc.
> we are going to need some experiments with Grantlee and a renderer
> (e.g. WebKit) to see to what extent we can get it to be WYSIWYG.

I am think of making some default layouts that divide the page into N x M
boxes (in different page orientation) , and the user have the option to map
the data to the boxes for each dive. for example he puts the dive profile
in the top right corner and the dive notes in the bottom of the page and
this layout is repeated for each dive. The problem of well fitting can be
handled by responsive html design for each widget so that the data will
always fit in the widget that is placed in the N x M boxes. This will need
a lot more testing to check how this will actually work.

--
regards,
Gehad