Customizable Print Formats GSoC 2015

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Mar 6 07:20:06 PST 2015

> On Mar 6, 2015, at 3:29 AM, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 6 March 2015 at 13:13, Robert Helling <helling at atdotde.de> wrote:
>>
>> On 06.03.2015, at 10:31, Anton Lundin <glance at acc.umu.se> wrote:
>>
>> As far as i can understand http://qt-project.org/wiki/QtWebEngine , Qt's
>> html renderer is based on chromium so i don't think its lacking any
>> bells and whistles.
>>

>> I am glad to hear that. Still we need it to describe a printed page rather
>> (with elements to grow/shrink to fit paper sizes etc) than an page in a web
>> browser. As a start, I just tried to produce some simple example with
>> LibreOfficeWriter and save that as html but the output is not even close to
>> the way the document looked.
>>

> yeah, HTML is really only well fit for web browsers and as everyone
> knows when you print a web-page it may look *a bit* different in terms
> of layout / scaling etc.
> we are going to need some experiments with Grantlee and a renderer
> (e.g. WebKit) to see to what extent we can get it to be WYSIWYG.

That, to me, is the way to go.
It might not be pixel perfect rendering. But we should be able to get something
that gets people roughly what they want. I made this a GSoC idea for a reason.
This is perfect for a student to work on. The underlying programming and tools
are not too complicated, the math / logic is not too complicated, but it will take
patience and some trial and error to get this mostly right.