Off Topic -- slightly. Dive Computers

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Mar 6 09:47:47 PST 2015

On Fri, Mar 06, 2015 at 09:25:56AM -0800, Steve Butler wrote:
> >http://subsurface-divelog.org/misc/dive-computer-ramblings/linus-dive-computer-ramblings/
> >
> I read it in detail last night on the train home.  I've heard that in the
> water the EON doesn't feel that heavy.  Wanita may not want something that
> big on her arm (she's around 5' tall) but it would fit me fine (I'm 6'3" and
> a lot overweight).

The problem is that on a thin wet suit the EON Steel is so heavy that it
easily slides / turns - or you have to strap it on REALLY tightly.

> >I don't have anything new on the Cobalt, since I still haven't actually
> >used it on a dive. But I haven't heard anything bad about it, and if you
> >like the hose based approach and don't mind that it's a bit bulky, it's
> >definitely one of the top choices. It's easy to use and very readable.
>
> Your thoughts on carrying a 2nd on each dive?  I've been tempted to sell the
> Cobra and buy both the EON and COBAL2 (not in same year).

Linus and I tend to always have at least three dive computers with us when
diving. And the number of times I had one fail on me (granted, carrying
many makes it more likely for that to happen) is epic. I had dives where
two out of four dive computers failed during the dive.

And I had a coupld of trips where after 20 or so dives I had only one
computer that had worked on every single dive.

So I'll tell you that it's hard for me to imagine diving with just one.

/D

PS: yes, some of the computers that I wear are pre-production models, so
the ratio of failure may be atypical. Still. I always have multiple
computers with me.