GSoC 2015 - Touch UI Port (Android)

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 11:23:01 PST 2015

On 7 March 2015 at 19:31, Abhishek Kumar <abhishek11006 at iiitd.ac.in> wrote:

> I was at the project page of your organization and the found the project
> "Touch UI Port (Android) ". You have mentioned that you will be working on
> Qt with Android. I have a lot of experience in Android but not on Qt. Could
> you provide some pointers for me to get started so that I can contribute to
> this project.

hello,

please, get familiar with the Subsurface codebase and read the "two patch" rule:
http://trac.subsurface-divelog.org/wiki/Subsurface_GSOC_2015_Idea_List#Thetwopatchesrule

the first major difference between Android development and Qt
development is the language - Java vs C++. you should be familiar with
C++ to work on this task.
we are also interested in solutions using QML - which is
Javascript-like language and is used for UI creation in Qt.

after installing the Qt framework there are some touch related example
in the "examples/touch" folder.

this can help you understand the "Qt on Android" topic:
http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/examples-android.html

currently, Subsurface does build on Android with a desktop like UI,
while the plan and the goal of the GSoC task is to provide an
alternative touch UI for mobile devices.

lubomir