GSoC Project: Native Bluetooth support for Linux and/or Windows

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 06:12:28 PDT 2015

hello,

On 9 March 2015 at 14:33, Purity Musyoki <purity.syoks at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a potential Google Summer of Code student, interested in working on the
> native bluetooth
> support idea. I have some experience in working with the bluetooth stack and
> BTLE.

i'm not very familiar with this GSoC idea and bluetooth in general.

"Subsurface and the underlying libdivecomputer today use the rfcomm
emulation to communicate with Bluetooth enabled dive computers. We
should use native Bluetooth instead"

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa362932(v=vs.85).aspx
you probably know that BTLE support is Win8 or newer, BT2.1 is since
Vista SP2, while we need to support Windows XP (SP1 first introduced
BT) in Subsurface which has to be done with things like the WinSock /
RFCOMM API, i'd say.

hmm, so i wonder what is "native Bluetooth support", does that imply
writing a device driver for Windows that is installed by Subsurface.
for instance i don't think that BNEP and L2CAP are accessible from user space...

> In the ideas page, it is noted that there is some sample code of what has
> been done so far
> regarding the bluetooth idea. I have gone through the source code for the
> Subsurface project,
> but I am unable to find the bluetooth downloader code. Am I missing
> something, or is this code
> located somewhere else?

i haven't seen any patches reach the mailing list; this could be
located in a separate branch which i'm not aware of.
perhaps someone else has an idea about this?

i'm not assigned as a mentor for this, but i can do sanity checks on
the contributed WINAPI code.
(not much actual bluetooth testing though...).

lubomir