Adding integration with more online dive logs GSoC 2015

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Mar 10 08:02:46 PDT 2015

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 02:54:48PM +0200, Yosef Hamza wrote:
> Hey subsurface,
>
> My name is Yousef Hamza, and I'm 3rd year CESS student, I already have
> contributions to subsurface the desktop app and the iOS app.

You have sent some ideas for the iOS app and you still need to actually
implement what I asked you to do in the code review. So I think it's a bit
misleading to claim that you "already have contributions".

> I'm interested in adding integration to subsurface with established online
> dive logs,
> In the description "diveboard.com" was mentioned I googled a little bit
> more to find what else out there.
>
> I made this list of other online dive logs that also provide REST APIs, I
> don know they fit with subsurface or not as of now, Anyway here's
> the list:
>
> -diveseven.com (Their API still in beta)
> -dive.io

and of course diveboard.com

> So before starting to write the proposal I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1_ The mentor isn't announced yet, but Is there someone who are most likely
> will
> mentor that project?

I really don't know yet. Is there anyone here who wants to jump up and
down and scream ME! ME! ME!

> 2_ How important this project to subsurface?

It's something that rounds out what we have to offer. It's obviously not a
core part of the program, but it's something that makes it easier for
people to switch to Subsurface and makes it easier for them to integrate
with other services they use. As such it's something we'd really like to
see done.

> 3_ What will be a satisfying output for you? and Is it include some of the
> websites
> from the list I mentioned above?

A successful student will deliver code that allows seamless up and
download to these sites (I really have to look at the sites I want to make
a requirement, haven't done that, yet, so let's assume the three mentioned
above). All the major data elements will be supported (so dive profile,
events, tanks, location, buddies, tags, etc). He or she will create test
accounts at those sites (complying with the site TOS) and demonstrate the
functionality. Finally the new features will be documented in the user
manual.