Which protocol to implement on a home brewed diving computer ?

Robert C. Helling robert at euve10195.vserver.de
Thu Mar 12 13:14:52 PDT 2015

Hi,

This sounds like a fun project! I would love to see it in the real world. Let me know when you are close to
Munich.

My suspicion is that for others to build it the main challenge is to make it water tight. This while not making it too bulky.

> Am 12.03.2015 um 18:40 schrieb Thomas Schrein <thomas at schrein.com>:
>
> Which protocol do you recommend us to implement into odico ?
> One idea is UDDF/UDCF, is this a good approach ?

I agree with Linus that UDDF is the definition of bloated. Otoh it sees to be the least common divisor if a lot of software in this sector.

For us probably anything would be ok as long as it's documented with a preference to something that at least roughly looks like xml. But miika as our master of xslt is really the person to talk to. But other software might not care to implement what you need as long as your market share is infinitesimal.

Why do you want to implement a serial protocol over USB?  I think the choice of others to present yourself as s flash drive to a usb host is quite convenient. In the directory listing you can already transmit info like time of dive and possible duration an max depth. Reading (and writing configure files) is then a simple matter of reading and writing files in the file system.

Best
Robert