GSOC 2015

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Mar 16 09:14:08 PDT 2015

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 04:02:06PM +0100, Robert Helling wrote:
> Thomas,
>
> of course I agree (otherwise we would’t propose that project) and many of our users ask for such a thing (as other deco software offers it).
>
> As far as practical use is concerned, however, I doubt that it would make so much of a difference: I believe that Buehlmann with gradient factors offers already pretty much all of the flexibility (in its two parameters) to fit pretty much any deco model even for the types of dives the usual tec diver does within the error bars of physiological uncertainty. I.e. you can already tune your gradient factors to make it mimic any reasonable bubble based deco schedule within the appropriate uncertainty.
>
> Let me once more point out my pamphlet (in German) about this: http://euve10195.vserver.de/~robert/dekotheorie.pdf <http://euve10195.vserver.de/~robert/dekotheorie.pdf>

One of the things that crack me up about the implementations of bubble
algorithms that I have seen so far is that they all have these unexplained
constants that are thrown in - and those constants have been carefully
chosen to make the profiles generated by the bubble algorithms match the
Buehlmann profiles... Yay progress :-)