[GSoC 2015] Introduction

Claudiu Olteanu olteanu.vasilica.claudiu at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 13:19:32 PDT 2015

Hi again,

After a long battle I managed to reach the final step (the cross building
of subsurface project) but somehow the linker fails. I receive a SEGV
when it tries to free some memory. I don't know if it is helpful
but you can find a dump here[1].

During the cross-compiling process I reached some issues and I will
write them here in hope that maybe they will we useful for other people
in the future:
- one of the issue is in libgit project (file tests/checkout/icase.c)
because they use an include directive for Windows header and on mingw
the header is with lower case. I made a pull request to fix that but
they have a problem with the CI environment so I don't know how much
it will take to accept the request[2].
- on OpenSuse there is a problem with the mingw64-libzip-devel
package(the zipconf header is not installed in the right place) and you
have to create manually a symbolic link in the
/usr/x86_64-w64-mingw32/sys-root/mingw/include/ directory.

I also made a list with all the mingw64 packages needed and updated
the INSTALL file. I believe that this will reduce the time of the
developers which tries for the first time to do a Linux to Windows
cross-compilation. You can find a patch attached to this e-mail.

If you have any idea on how I can fix the linking problem, please
let me know. As I said it before I have a OpenSuse 13.2-KDE-x86_64
platform. The linker version is GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.24.51.20140703.
and the version of mingw64-make is GNU Make 4.0.

For the moment I will skip the cross-building process and I will try
to finish my proposal and to discover other ways to contribute.

Best regards,
Claudiu

[1] - http://pastebin.com/MpqHVpJN
[2] - https://github.com/libgit2/libgit2/pull/2985