GSoC Proposal for review

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Mar 18 10:31:26 PDT 2015

Dear Grace,

this is an excellent application.

I am very grateful that you sent this to the mailing list as I want other
candidates to see a well executed application as I hope it will help them
preparing theirs.

This year I will be a lot stricter when it comes to the first half of the
application: answering the questions and providing us information about
the candidate.

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 10:05:54AM +0300, Grace Karanja wrote:
> *APPLICATION*
> *Summary*
> Subsurface in its current state is primarily designed to be used on a
> personal computer. Although it can be compiled for Android devices, the
> user interface is not really usable on mobile devices. Using QML, we can
> create a new user interface targeted at Android mobile phones and tablets.
> This QML based interface will maintain the C/C++ back-end, resulting in a
> unified code-base which will be easy to maintain, and new features will be
> easy to implement on both mobile and desktop devices.
>
> By using QML for the Android port, we will be able to reuse the existing Qt
> models used in Subsurface.

I'm /hoping/ that we can reuse more than just the models. If you run
Subsurface on an Android device right now, there are several parts of the
UI that are actually quite useful.

So my hope would be that you could step-by-step replace those parts of the
UI that DON'T work well on a touch based device - not develop a new one
from scratch.

I won't comment on the rest in public as that might make it too easy for
others considering applying for the same topic :-)