prososal to code for Asset management- project through gsoc 2015

Long, Martin martin at longhome.co.uk
Mon Mar 23 02:37:00 PDT 2015

Somali,

I'm not a mentor. Mentors haven't yet been assigned as this happens much
later in the process. However, I can give you some feedback on your
proposal.

The first thing you should know is that there are people interested in
almost every project on the list. It will be competitive, and those who put
time and effort into their proposal, and show that they have met the
requirements, will be best placed to earn a place on the program.

For example, there is a "2 patch" requirement, requiring that you send 2
patches. This is to ensure that you have succeeded in building Subversion,
and that you understand some of the code. Forgive me if you have already
met this requirement, but your proposal suggests that you haven't, as your
appear to be running Windows, and building subsurface on Windows is a
'challenge' to say the least. The onus is on you do this, and get some
patches submitted, and you will not have access to a mentor until you are
selected as a participant. (although if you have problems building, then
the community will be happy to help you with your problems).

Have a look at some of the proposals which have been submitted to this
list. Some of the submissions come from people who have contributed
multiple patches over several months, and their proposals show that they
have read and understood the brief and given considerable thought to the
design.

If you want some serious feedback on your proposal I'd say:

 - Read our GSOC wiki page, understand the requirements, and ensure you
have met them
 - Understand the project you want to propose for, design for it. If you
have any specific questions come on here (or irc) and ask them.

There have been some very strong proposals submitted so far. Developers are
keen to provide help and feedback to those who have shown initiative and a
willingness to understand what they have to do.

Regards

Martin