Proposal

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Wed Mar 25 02:07:17 PDT 2015

Jan,

> On 24.03.2015, at 21:34, Jan Darowski <jan.darowski at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Here is my proposal for the GSoC. I believe it's the last thing from
> the projects checklist so if you have any suggestions on how I could
> improve it, please let me know.

very nice proposal! Just a few additional comments (in addition to what the others have said already). Some of these might also apply to other candidates thinking about the VPM-B project:

* We will not replace the old model. The bubble model will be an option the user can choose. A large motivation for implementing this model is to give the user the possibility to compare the consequences of the different models (also for educating divers). So some though will have to go into how to make it easy for users to see what they want to see when comparing one model to the other.

* In the current code, the Buehlmann model is used in two separate (but of course related) places: a) to plan the decompression of future dives and b) to plot the ceilings in logged dives so the user can see how the real dive compares to the theoretical model. Existing implementations of VPM only care about application a) but it would be great to find a way to make it also usable for b). Obstacles here are for example that real world dives don’t have well defined descent, bottom and ascent phases.

* I would slightly alter the timeline: What you describe should go into two phases: The first will be to actually understand the model (by reading texts, looking at existing code, stepping through existing code with a debugger). To me the duration of this phase is the big unknown. The result of that phase could be something like a flow diagram with formulas. The second phase will be the actual implementation (I think that will not take too much time once we understand the model, I would expect a prototype in about a week of coding). This phase already includes debugging, testing and comparing to existing implementation. Then we will have to think how to hook it up with the existing UI and give the user a good experience (see above).

Best
Robert

                      Scientific Coordinator
                      Phone: +49 89 2180-4523  Theresienstr. 39, rm. B339
                      http://www.atdotde.de

Enhance your privacy, use cryptography! My PGP keys have fingerprints
A9D1 A01D 13A5 31FA 6515  BB44 0820 367C 36BC 0C1D    and
DCED 37B6 251C 7861 270D  5613 95C7 9D32 9A8D 9B8F