GSoC 2015 - Introduction

Marcos Cardinot mcardinot at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 14:07:03 PDT 2015

>> *MANY* thanks for your powerful explanation. =D
>>

> You're welcome :)
>

>> I have many ideas about how it should looks like and work... I'm doing
>> some mockups and I will let you see it soon.
>>

> Great, I'd love to see them.
>

>> I'm thinking about structures where users could add or/and group things
>> by a simple "drag and drop"
>>

> That sounds good. The specification uses the word "groups", but I don't
> really like this because groups seems to imply that an item belongs to a
> single group. I prefer "sets". My Suunto dive computer, for example would
> be part of both my "UK Cold Water" set, and my "Tropical" set, as I use it
> wherever I go.

Hmm... it would be just a case of "naming" - the base idea is to have
exactly what you expect = one equipment can belongs to none, one or many
groups/sets =D

>> - we could have a view or dialog with all equipments
>> - users would be able to 'drag and drop' items from this view/dialog to
>> the equipment tab
>>

> ... and drag and drop complete sets too. Yes.
>

>> - I think it's important to have pre-defined categories - easier to find
>> items
>>

> I think some sort of structure would make sense, but I'm finding it hard
> to imagine categories with the right granularity. I could see most
> categories containing just a single item (or perhaps a choice of 2):
>
> Lighting:
>   - NDiver X3 Torch
>   - Umbilical HID
>
> Emergency
>   - Strobe
>   - Whistle
>   - Diver Alert
>
> Breathing Gear
>   - Regs
>   - Cylinder
>   - Guage/Console
>

> Maybe something like that could work. This could perhaps use some input
> from some of the more experienced/techy divers.

Maybe the name should be 'type' instead of 'category'.
In this way, I think that it would not be a problem if we identify/name
each equipment according to what it is...
eg. http://iesa-fao.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Scuba-Gear.jpg ,
http://www.scuba.com
what do you think?

>> - It would be nice if each category had a thumbnail - it could be
>> configurable (eg. allow users to add a picture to a specific equipment,
>> otherwise just use a default img of the corresponding category)
>> - equipment tab : instead of showing a detailed list, we could show a
>> kind of thumbnails list with very basic info (name + manufacturer + number
>> of uses) - tooltip->more info - double click->dialog with details
>>

> For the equipment tab, I would simply go for something like
> "{Manufacturer}: {Name}", and probably just in a straight list, or possibly
> switchable between a list and thumbnails. I think that function needs to
> win over form here, but would like to hear input from others.

Yeah, I'm considering the idea of having two ways to display the data -
detailed list OR thumbnail list

I was doing a research in other software (in order to see how they handle
this kind of thing). I saw that MacDive has something like what I had in
mind for a "thumbnail list".
http://www.mac-dive.com/images/features/feature_gear.png
Unfortunately I'm not a MAC user and I'm not able to install it and see how
they do to add an equipment in a divelog - someone knows?

Another aspect to consider it that a type of equipment can have a specific
key property on a dive (which will be set only in the equipment tab on a
dive, of course) - eg. cylinders and weights
So, the equipment list would display only basic info (which are common to
all equipment - user should be able to choose what columns they want to see
in a list as well).
Now I'm imagine how the user would set the parameters of a 'cylinder' in
the equipment tab:
1) double click -> open small dialog box with these fields (pop-up)
2) single click -> a kind of accordion effect, fields appear (sliding) in
the bottom of  the equipment tab (users should be able to stick this small
side panel if they want - so, it would not be shrinking and stretching
other fields in the equipment tab every time something is clicked)
3) ideas?

Actually I would like to avoid 'extra windows' as much as possible, because
I think that there is nothing more annoying than a new dialog box
popping-up as a new window for every single feature...