Petrel 2 Download

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Wed May 20 04:40:22 PDT 2015

Det funkar, tack så mycket Anton!

On 20 May 2015 at 20:48, Anton Lundin <glance at acc.umu.se> wrote:
> On 20 May, 2015 - Rick Walsh wrote:
>

>> Thanks for the suggestion but still no luck.  I tried rfcomm0,
>> rfcomm1, rfcomm2 and rfcomm3.  All give:
>> Can't connect RFCOMM socket: Connection refused
>>

> Thats not the rfcomm channel, its only which rfcomm device node you will
> bind the channel to. The rfcomm channel syntax is:
> rfcomm connect  <dev> <bdaddr> [channel]
>
> I'd brute force the available ones from 1 to 31 and test. Usually rfcomm
> have guessed (or assumed as 1?) the right one for me.

[rick at localhost ~]$ sudo rfcomm -i hci1 connect 0 00:13:43:0E:6B:D0 1
Can't connect RFCOMM socket: Connection refused
[rick at localhost ~]$ sudo rfcomm -i hci1 connect 0 00:13:43:0E:6B:D0 2
Can't connect RFCOMM socket: Connection refused
[rick at localhost ~]$ sudo rfcomm -i hci1 connect 0 00:13:43:0E:6B:D0 3
Can't connect RFCOMM socket: Connection refused
[rick at localhost ~]$ sudo rfcomm -i hci1 connect 0 00:13:43:0E:6B:D0 4
Can't connect RFCOMM socket: Connection refused
[rick at localhost ~]$ sudo rfcomm -i hci1 connect 0 00:13:43:0E:6B:D0 5
Connected /dev/rfcomm0 to 00:13:43:0E:6B:D0 on channel 5
Press CTRL-C for hangup

The connection works with channel 5.  I have no idea what's special
about channel 5 but I'm not complaining.

After connecting, to get Subsurface to download from the Petrel I had
to add myself to the dialout group (or run Subsurface as root, which
is a lazy but silly thing to do) in order to avoid permissions errors
when downloading, but that's pretty standard.

>> I think I'll try finding a live distro tonight with Bluez version 4,
>> rather than version 5 I'm currently using, to see if that helps.
>> Googling suggests many people have had issues with 5.
>>

> I've only run the bluez4 stack. I've run it on ubuntu 15.04 as late as
> of Sunday against my OSTC Sport.

I found and downloaded an iso for Fedora 19 (before I tried connecting
with different channels on v22), which is the most recent version of
Fedora with Bluez 4.  I didn't get far with the live usb stick.  I
couldn't find the correct tool to pair - no bluetoothctl,
bluez-simple-agent, simple-agent or bt-connect.  I'm sure if I knew
more it would have been possible.

I saw your email with the correct method for selecting an rfcomm
channel just before I got around to trying Dirk's favourite 'obscure'
but rather well supported Debian fork.

> //Anton
>

> --
> Anton Lundin    +46702-161604

Willem, there's now a solution/workaround that works for me, but
unfortunately it's a bit messy and I'm not sure if it will work the
same on other systems.  I'll play around a bit more, testing my
different bluetooth dongles (and onboard device) and perhaps different
distros.  I'll see if I can write something for the manual this
weekend or next week.

Rick