Subsurface interface with libdivecomputer

Jef Driesen jef at libdivecomputer.org
Fri May 22 02:59:14 PDT 2015

On 2015-05-21 15:11, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>> On May 21, 2015, at 2:49 AM, Jef Driesen <jef at libdivecomputer.org>
>> wrote:
>> That's another thing. Internally Uwatec stores the id of the gasmix,
>> but currently the libdivecomputer api delivers only the o2/he
>> percentages, so you can distinguish between two identical mixes.
>>
>> This mistake will be fixed in the near future. The implementation is
>> already done, but I haven't applied it yet, because it breaks
>> backwards compatibility.
>>
>> An intermediate solution might be to introduce the new
>> DC_SAMPLE_GASMIX api right now, but maintain the old gaschange events
>> in parallel. The old gaschange events will become deprecated, but
>> applications using them will continue to work as before. And once v0.5
>> is out, we can finally remove the old events.
>
> I thought that had been the plan all along…

Well, originally I planned to release v0.5 several months ago. And then
breaking backwards compatibility wouldn't be an issue. But that's not
where we are now, so I'll go for the intermediate solution outlined
above.

But that will have to wait one more week, because I'm leaving tonight
for a diving trip.

> And once 0.5 is out we should also talk about the things that are
> currently in the Subsurface-testing branch and haven’t made it into
> master. I’d love to not need that branch (or at least keep it as small
> as reasonably possible).

Indeed.

Jef