Gentleman, Start your divecomputers.

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon May 25 06:54:40 PDT 2015

> On May 25, 2015, at 5:30 AM, Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava at kde.org> wrote:
>

> Today is the first official day of Coding for Google Summer of code, Let the race begin. :)

As Tomaz points out so correctly, indeed, GSoC coding should begin now.

Here are a few requests for the students (and indirectly, reminders for the mentors):

* I would like the majority of discussion to happen on the mailing list

Yes, it’s OK to have 1:1 mentor/student conversations, but anything about design and
implementation, anything that could be interesting to more than just the mentor/student
relationship should be on the mailing list. Otherwise it is lost to the project

* I would like to see regular contributions to master

This is something that I learned last year: we really need to get into the habit of having
the work in progress flow into master. Signed-off-by both the student and the mentor.
I’ll be happy to pull such changes from dedicated branches on github if that makes your
workflow easier.

What should be pushed to master? Code that is progress towards the final goal and
that doesn’t break other aspects of Subsurface

* I would like to see weekly progress updates from the students

Please send a summary of what you have achieved, what you expect to work on in the
coming week and how you feel you are doing compared to the initial plan.

None of these three points are optional. We will make successful midterm and successful
final evaluation dependent on this.

Thanks (and let me know if you have questions about any of this)