Fwd: Re: Dive Site Management - request for feedback

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Wed May 27 04:17:15 PDT 2015

    On 27/05/2015 05:35, Benjamin wrote:

>     The idea of a ( non editable? ) combobox on the info tab for
>     choosing the active dive site sounds like a simpler idea.
>     As it is now, I can't get the thing to work. I've resorted to
>     adding dives without a site and then adding the site id manually
>     in the XML file. Otherwise, no matter what I've tried, I simply
>     can't add a site.
>

>     On Wed, 27 May 2015 06:08 Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava at kde.org
>     <mailto:tcanabrava at kde.org>> wrote:
>
>         It's up to the discussion actually. Dirk wants it to do both
>         things, I think it should do just one thing ( manage the dive
>         site )  and that changing the dive site should be done on a
>         combobox in the info menu, or a mix of  both.

    I did quite a bit of testing with the new dive site management system.

    1) Define an existing dive site: Create a new dive, then type the
    first letter of a dive site in the dive site name field in the Notes
    panel (i.e. without opening Manage). A list of possible sites
    starting with that letter appears. I select a dive site and save the
    dive. Kein Problem überhaupt. Now, trying to define a new site:

    2) I create a new dive. The original blue message that said
    something like "Move to the divespot and double-click the site" is
    not there any more. If I double-click the dive spot on marble, then
    I get a segmentation fault.

    3) I create  a dive, then go to Manage, type the first letter of a
    dive site. Segmentation fault. On one or two occasions, no crash,
    but in > 90% of attempts a crash. It it does not crash:

    4) Create a dive, open Manage, fill in dive site name. Blue bar
    appears on marble. double-click marble. Seg fault.

    5) I create a dive, open Manage, put cursor on coordinates field.
    Now the blue message appears on marble. I double-click marble.
    Segmentation fault.

    Looks like probably still not possible to add a new dive.

    I agree that if manage cannot be used to define the current dive
    site, then it should move outside of the Notes panel dealing with
    the present dive. But, big problem: to be honest, there is not a
    logical alternative place for this button within the Notes panel. So
    let's keep it where it is.

    Oh yes, SHA gc6783739

    Kind regards,
    willem